Wednesday 5 January 2011

Retrospective 3: installations






MISAKI KAWAI I've used Misaki kawai as an artistic inspiration before,as i enjoy anything wild and wacky and maybe slightly dream-like.Originally from Japan and now working in New York ,she uses toy animals,bold colours and mixed media to create home-made spaceships and child-like toy worlds in the corners of rooms,hanging from the ceiling and flying down a corridor. I enjoy how her work forces a subjective response and we are transported into an alternative space,even just looking at the photographs of the work. I think i identify with the work because it reminds me of Michel Gondrys' 'Science of sleep,'(2006) his film sets made out of toilet roll tubes and egg cartons with cars made out of carboard, giant hands and the idea of surreal,subconcious events being able to occur in reality.I wouldn't want my installation for this brief to be too surreal simply because it is for an exhibition so i have to keep within themes.

The image of a tall,white teepee structure,is one of my favourite works and whenever i see this image,i want to go inside and look around,i am not sure if you even can enter her work but it gave me an idea for a walk-in installation,quite small in scale that people could enter. I used to love creating 'secret dens' when i was small, this idea of a little world still appeals to me and creating this for other people to enjoy really appeals to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment